Adventures in Washi Tape


So, I've been playing with Washi Tape a bit, trying to get a feel for it on different paper and whatnot. This came about after watching Kasey Golden try her hand with it. It inspired me, so I went for it!

 If there is anything I've learned from the experience: Right paper and Right knife. 

Overall, while it was frustrating to get it to work sometimes, I enjoyed the learning experience. I've learned the mix media paper seems to work okay with it, but not paper that is closer to printer paper (like in my one sketchbook). A good knife to cut it is still not there. Here is a quick look at two things I attempted.
I wanted to see what I could use it for on the mix media paper.

Below are the steps in creating my first washi tape drawing (not on the mixed media) that I came up with. I did not come as prepared as I wanted, but I tried. I was happy with the end result, but boy did it come with some struggles! I worked on this piece from 11 am till 2 pm one day, and I barely even noticed the time that had passed. 



I had an idea of what I wanted to do from the beginning. I wanted to draw a witch with the spell whooshing around her. The two tapes I chose are just from a big plastic box from Walmart. Don't even know what brand anymore, as I've had them a while. I mostly use this tape for decorating boxes and my bullet journal. Later you'll see I only use the symbols one (later explained).

So, I did the line art for her and the tape line I wanted to follow.


Then came the taping... Ho boy! Where to start? The tape did not want too cooperate with the paper. The box cutter was really dull. The tape I removed was starting to rip up the paper and curl. It was a nightmare!! After I finally got the tape where I wanted it, I noticed all the rough little patches and that was the decision that took away the star washi tape. I was going to use it for her dress and JUST SAID NO!
Since plans changed, I realized I needed to do something different. I didn't really have any major supplies with me, so I made do with what I did have:one peachy colored pencil, regular pencil, dual tipped sharpie (fine lime and regular tipped) and highlighters. While looking at the highlighter, I remembered watching something about the specific highlighter brand I was using and how well they layered. (Later, I found that video to be from DrawingWiffWaffles) So, I got to work with a pink, purple, and one other (either orange or yellow, I can't recall). I wanted the patches to stick out, so I blended the pink with the other unknown highlighter and it came out to that pretty color! I also really liked the galaxy-styled ribbon. 

As I stated, the process was long and challenging, but I am so happy that I did it. I gained some knowledge, and I hope to come back to this washi tape idea again, once I have some better tools. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mog Central Pen Pal

Where have I been